What is this?

formerly a blog about India.
now technically in the beyond
six months in Oz

Thursday, June 16, 2011

I'm Ba-ack

Sorry for the lack of posts, Mom. It turns out going to China took up a lot of time and energy (almost as much as getting a Chinese visa), particularly because it's even more difficult to communicate with people in Chinese than in Hindi! I think the fact that I didn't have any grasp of the numbers or food words before I went really hindered my ability to get my point across. Nevertheless, the Great Wall definitely deserves its spot on the list of seven wonders of the world. It is amazing. The steps are also really steep and slanted.

Beijing has a ton of things to do, good food, a large Western presence, and a fabulous subway (the buses leave something to be desired). I could go back. Generally, I went to developed China, where there was air conditioning, paved roads, and even sidewalks! I had major culture shock, partially because Chinese society really focuses on materialism in a different way than in India.

I stopped in Hong Kong on my way back to Delhi, and met up with Rena, one of my best friends from high school! Hong Kong is a party. We went out to dinner with an unknown family friend, who took us out to dinner. We ate lots of fish and pork and even had the traditional Hong Kong dish of pigeon. Rena and her family and I also went out for Shanghaiese food, which is fabulous. I really like Chinese food and most people in China were surprised at how well I could use chopsticks.

Then I flew back to Delhi, and the next day flew to Varanasi. I had a little bit of culture shock coming back as well -- India is still hot and humid. I've moved into the guest house at Nirman (www.nirman.info), which is where I'll be interning this summer (new address on the top banner -- send me mail!). More info on that later, but basically it is a school focusing on integrating creativity into traditional lesson plans.

Whilst I've been here, I've been busy cheating death: monsoon rains that leave two inch puddles on the school grounds, eating raw mangos using the Indian method (which involves squishing them around inside their skins, then opening a hole and sucking out the pulp) after dousing them in Purell, arguing with the Foreigner's Registration Office (it never ends), and last but not least, riding a motorcycle without a helmet (sorry, Mom and Dad).

Riding the motorcycle through loud, dirty traffic was the most exhilarating thing I've done in a long time. it was less bumpy than I expected, and less dusty, perhaps because I learned how to tie my scarf around my head and face. I assume this will prove to be a useful skill at parties.

Varanasi is the noisiest city I've been in, and is most decidedly an Indian place. However, I am slowly finding the places with air conditioning and hopefully things will pick up when school starts and other interns get here.

Mom - I promise to get back into the swing of things.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks darling. I love you and it's good to hear your "voice" again through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're picking up some good party tricks abroad. Isn't that what it's all about?

    ReplyDelete