What is this?

formerly a blog about India.
now technically in the beyond
six months in Oz

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The news

As I'm sure you've heard, since even I've heard here, US forces killed Osama bin Laden. Almost every person I communicate with contacted me to inform me about Obama's speech.

I was a little confused by the reaction at home. I don't think there's any reason to celebrate over someone's death. There might not necessarily be reason to mourn either, but apparently people at school set off fireworks and sang the national anthem. I'm genuinely happy I wasn't there.

As you might have guessed, we're fine. There has been almost no reaction, perhaps because we are in the Tibetan community rather than the Indian community at large. Even if we were in India proper, the people might be happy that the US found Osama in Pakistan. We have gotten multiple email warnings not to go to tourist places (oops) and not to go to group gatherings (double oops). I promise to try not to get kidnapped, or if I do to keep the blog going (kidding, kidding).
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment