What is this?

formerly a blog about India.
now technically in the beyond
six months in Oz

Thursday, September 12, 2013

"Cold"

I'd planned on going on an adventure tonight, or at least leaving my apartment to get some dinner. Then at some point this evening a wind storm started. I'm not quite sure when it started, and it's beautiful to watch the treetops sway, but it's also pretty loud and it's making my room quite cold. It's killing my motivation a bit to get outside, so I made some tea instead and decided to write this. Sadly, "cold" here is 59 degrees F. I think my blood thinned somewhere along the way.

Up until whenever this started, today was beautiful. I was up for a 7 am call with DC, and surprised the person on the other end of the phone by letting him know it was already Thursday here.
I then got a second chance to say happy birthday - the wonderful thing about being so far ahead is that you have a lot of advance warning for people's birthdays and can plan better to try to catch them on the right day. I don't envy having to predict in advance when important life events are supposed to happen. I'm looking forward to the extended birthday wishes this year and also to the inevitable day mixups that I'm sure will occur. I forgive all of you already since it's such a difficult thing to figure out.

I did some work and then headed out towards downtown to meet up with some potential new roommates. They were an odd pair - a businessman/jock and a chef dude - but both very nice and we shall see if that place is finally the place. Eventually, I'll find somewhere to live.

My manager and I met up and talked for a while, then walked to the post office. She hates going to the post office, but they don't deliver packages to her apartment, so she has to go pick them up. When she found out how much I like the post office she started inviting me along every time. This is fine by me. Going to the post office in our area is fun for many reasons, one of them being that you have to walk down Oxford Street, the gayest road in town. It does a good job rivaling the Castro rainbow flag for rainbow flag, and has a ton of restaurants, clubs, and men's underwear stores.

After delivering said package back to her apartment safely (and leaving with a bottle of whiskey - I've been working here just over a year, I've had four managers, and three of them have given me a bottle of whiskey at some point. What does that say about me?) I walked over to an electronics store to pick up a usb-compatible camera, since for some reason my laptop didn't come with a built in camera. I got one that had a huge clip attached to clip on to the top of the laptop, which is sweet, except when I plugged it in the picture was in black and white. Unfortunate. I'll have to return to the store tomorrow.

I spent the rest of the afternoon on the balcony doing a little work and enjoying the last of the light. I've since retreated to bed and will likely stay here the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment