What is this?

formerly a blog about India.
now technically in the beyond
six months in Oz

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Costumes and electric adventures

I think I missed the memo somewhere that 18th September is Halloween in Australia*. On my morning run I stumbled upon this:




I'm not sure what's going on but they are all having a grand old time. Person with the best idea as to what's happening gets a special treat from Australia.

When I got back to my apartment, I tried to swipe into my building (we have doors that open automatically when you touch your electric key). Unfortunately, nothing happened. No magic swoosh let me into my building. I tried again.

Still nothing. The only person to come out of the building came down through the fire stairs. Unfortunately, I don't have the key to my level, so although I can walk up the fire stairs I can't actually get into my floor.

I considered going to wait at a coffee shop until the power was back on, but remembered I didn't have my wallet. I looked around some more and saw this guy parked out front:


Emergency service vehicle from the electric company! I was in luck. Thank goodness I brought my phone. I called the number on the truck and after a while Michael came over to try and help me out. Well, first he called me and in the traditional Australian way, asked, "What am I supposed to be working on?"

Uh, dude, I'm locked out. Help.

He came over, tried his swiper (which also didn't work), and then decided they'd turned the power off while doing whatever they were doing. He left to go turn the power on, then came back on the inside of the building.

The front doors are glass, so I could see him trying to open the door from the inside. He motioned for me to try my swiper from the outside. Still nothing. Then he shrugged and pried the doors apart manually.

I made him come to the elevator with me to ensure that I could get up to level 5. That worked without any trouble, which left me severely confused about what just happened but on the right floor to get into my apartment, so I wasn't going to complain.

*disclaimer: I don't know if it's actually Halloween. There are just a lot of people in costumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment