What is this?

formerly a blog about India.
now technically in the beyond
six months in Oz

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Beginnings

My flight leaves in four days and I have yet to begin packing. There will be time for that later, probably in the hours just before I leave for the airport. Things that are essential to bring:

my passport
my camera
my sweet multicolored converse (which conveniently slip on and off)

Most of the other things I use on a daily basis don't seem right for abroad. I attend a lovely school in Southern California and am currently at home in suburban New Jersey, both of which have very different climates and cultures from Dharamsala, India, home of the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan exile community.


Emory University's Tibetan studies program provides classes on Buddhist philosophy, Tibetan culture, and language. I am most excited for Buddhist philosophy and practice (typical, given that I study philosophy at school), especially learning to meditate, and least excited for the language courses, although they will probably be helpful to speak to my Tibetan roommate and host family at different points in the semester.

Given the rural location and my personal interest in learning to quiet my mind, it's unclear how much I'll update the blog. However, I am now the owner of an international smartphone (thanks, Mom and Dad!) and could probably figure out how to publish posts over email if I really tried. When I do write things, expect them to be completely self-interested, egotistical, and full of overwhelming joy/Zen mellowness/snarky angst, depending on how I feel that day. You've been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment