What is this?

formerly a blog about India.
now technically in the beyond
six months in Oz

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Temples, buckets and Michael Jackson

Remember when I said this was like camp? It is.

Firstly, we got a tour of the temple on campus. Normally Buddhist temples have statues of the Buddha on the altar, but the one here has a beautiful wall sized fabric applique hanging. This is so when the people can move back to Tibet they can roll it up and take it with them. The founder of the college was an optimist, they like to say.

As we entered the temple we learned how to fold our hands and bow as we cross threshold, which wasn't required. I decided to do it anyway to see what it feels like. I was uncomfortable prostrating myself on the ground, given that Judaism pretty much forbids that, but hey, going abroad is about being uncomfortable.

Later, the girls on the program ventured down the road to Gagal, where we bought shampoo, sweats, and various other things. Most importantly, we all bought buckets. And the story really gets camplike.

Here, you need buckets to shower, wash your clothes, and occasionally carry random items. I have never thought so much about buckets in my life. Needless to say, we came back stoked about our purchases. And then had shower parties.

After dinner there was a variety show (which corresponds to the camp talent show. Do you see where I'm going? ). A bunch of Tibetan student preformed traditional songs and dances. On our end, the boys played and sang a song by the animals, while the girls danced to Thriller. We were unsure if the monks got the joke, but we had a lot of fun.

Quote of the day:

Liz: "I can sip tea like a genius."
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the blog! Thanks for all the posts.
    And I've updated my map of your travels:

    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=215135952058274221654.00049a2a8b75a8ee54328&ll=31.015279,77.640381&spn=7.585439,14.27124&t=h&z=7

    ReplyDelete