What is this?

formerly a blog about India.
now technically in the beyond
six months in Oz

Friday, March 4, 2011

Gootook and dough

Pause in cham programming (I have a lot more photos and videos) before I forget this.

This is the traditional losar eve eve (there are two days of eves) tookpa (soup). There are nine ingredients (auspicious number). The dough ball at the middle contains something like a fortune for the new year slash a personality evaluation.

You are traditionally supposed to eat nine bowls, and there is a saying that if you die eating gootook it's ok. (This Doesn't translate well, but it means it's very good. And your rebirth will be good if you die gorging yourself. I think.) Because of the size amala gave us nine ladles instead, which is a crazy amount so kahtook the dog helped me finish mine.

As for the dough balls, Dawa had cotton in his, which means he's a soft boy. Amala and pala both got coal, which means they have black hearts. And me? I got a chili, which means I am firey, or, literally, "have fire coming out of my mouth."

Pala asked if I say "hot things." You win, Losar dough ball. You win.

I can't tell if they are supposed to be joking predictions for the next year or not, because it's also possible to get a sun or stars, which means your future is bright, something that means you're difficult to deal with, or scripture, which symbolizes wisdom.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

2 comments:

  1. Wow, interesting soup. happy Tibetan New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been musing whether karma brought you the dough ball with a chili, or whether Amala gave karma a helpful push. Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete