What is this?

formerly a blog about India.
now technically in the beyond
six months in Oz

Monday, March 21, 2011

The Way Home

If this video uploads it will be a miracle (I sat at the internet cafe from about 2:30 to six for this masterpiece....overkill? Maybe. Oh well). It shows part of the route to my homestay, and tells a little bit about my host parents. Other fun facts that I did not include in the video:



Amala is 50, Pala is 62-ish

Amala comes from a family with three fathers (this is traditional in Tibetan society. Brothers often marry the same wife to have more men around since the lifestyle is really hard). She only lived with one of them, because one husband died before she was born and another was in the Indian military (they have Tibetan regiments) and stationed away from home.

I would fill this time with writing about the oracle we saw this morning, but I just wrote a 5 page paper on it (in less time than it took the video to upload...welcome to study abroad!) and don't feel like it. It was one of the most authentic things we've seen and one of the legitimately out there crazy things that I feel uncomfortable with on an intellectual level (as in, I think it's weird, and then I feel bad for thinking that. But it is weird, and funny, in a really non-politically correct way).

Anyway, watch the video. (direct link in case the embedding doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwGi5eiHD3g)

2 comments:

  1. WOW. I am hella impressed with this. Perhaps the best window into someone's study abroad experience I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brodes: This was an amazing video. I'm so glad you shared it. I also think you're the best blogger known to man, submit something to the Forum, k cool :)

    ReplyDelete